Friday, 6 October 2017

A list of Things/Situations that Scare me

Like most young people, I was naturally scared of the dark. I remember feeling frozen with fear in the steps from the light switch to my bed.
I was never really scared of the dark, I was scared of what was in it. Did I really know if there wasn't a murderer in my room? Did I really know that my sister was not going to scare me? Did I really know that I wouldn't trip over some piece of mess (that would inevitably be there because I never kept my room clean) 
All I knew is that everything was dark and I couldn't see anything. Even as a child I have extra thought to every situation. 

As I became older I overcame my fear. I am no longer scared of the dark or what is in the dark.

But having generalised anxiety disorder, I am afraid of A LOT of things. 

Here is just a small list of things/situations  that scare me: 


  •  being judged by others
  •  loud unexplained noises in the middle of the night 
  •  replying to phone calls 
  • potato skins 
  •  loud parties
  •  being forgotten 
  • doing the "wrong" thing to someone. 
  • being wrong. 
  •  starting a conversation without an intention 
  • SMALL TALK 
  •  correcting people 
  • drunk people
  •  replying to emails 
  •  disappointing my parents 
  • talking on the phone
  •  others relying on me and letting them down 
  •  becoming isolated from society
  • coming off as being  "different" 
  •  Saying the wrong thing 
  •  somebody stealing my  journal, reading it and telling the world my secrets 
  •  coming of as being  "selfish" 
  •  replying to messengers on line  (ALTHOUGH I HAVE GOTTEN BETTER!) 
  •  coming known as a negative person 
  •  being in such an emotional state that I will start cutting myself again
  •  losing friends
  • handing in assignments
  • my school library 
  • driving
  • asking for help in a shop
  • certain people from my high school
  • walking through busy crowds
  • peer criticism 
  • losing my friends 
  • small enclosed spaces (elevators) 
  • someone taking a photo of me in public and making me into a meme without my consent
  • being a victim to bullying 
  • losing my friends to suicide
  • large holes 
  • the unknown
  • having my artwork viewed at the end of year school exhibition 
  • dying alone 
  • Being forgotten or "wiped" out from a persons life. 
  • worms
  • doing something embarrassing in front of a large group of people and having this "thing" follow me around for my life
  • drowning
  • being physically harmed by somebody I love
  • cockroaches
  • That my "best" is not good enough 
  • being called on in class
  • The phrase: "Can I ask you something?"
  • that I will forget an important detail about one of my friends
  • that I will give my friends a reason to be mad at me 
  • that I will be financially unstable when I have children 
  • that I will be a horrible parent
  • coming off as being a "horrible" person
  • not being 'good enough' for the person I love 
  • committing to stuff
  • Failing grade 12 and having to do year 13.
  • alcohol
  • my parents fighting
  • exit/security alarms at shops
  • having false statements (rumours) spread about me
  • people staring at me
  • the phase: "We need to talk." 
  • being in a situation where I will go mute. 
  • having panic attacks in front of people
  • eating in public
  • razors
  • being judged for my stutter
  • stuttering too much in front of people 
  • being intimate with someone
  • being rejected
  • being abandoned 
  • Having the attention on me in a negative way 
  • performing in front of others
  • exams 
  • missing out/ being excluded
  • the greasy feeling of frogs 
  • being reminded of horrible memories/ flashbacks
  • when people start making cat noises (ALTHOUGH I HAVE GOTTEN BETTER!) 
  • someone recording me and posting it on social media without my consent
  • sneezing in public 
  • eye contact
  • being  tested without warning
  • being replaced
  • working in groups at school
  • getting  kidnapped
  • my school having a fire alarm drill. 
  • coming to school in the same outfit as somebody else
  • that cars will crash right in front or me
  • that something terrible will happen to my brother 
  • my dogs running away
  • fire alarms
  • that I will give my teachers a reason to be disappointed in me.  
  • being on a bus with a bully from high school and not being able to escape
  • being alone
  • the future

(( And there are more, but I think the list it getting a bit too big. ))


...And as a kid I was only scared of the dark and spiders and now I have a list of so many irrational,  things that I think I shouldn't be scared of.
 I shouldn't be scared of being wrong because I know every thing is a learning experience. and I shouldn't be scared of being lonely and isolated because I know I have friends and people who care for me deeply and who will be there for me at a drop of a hat.
 I shouldn't be scared of the future because I know it is inevitable

Yet I am and I can't help it.
Deep down I just want to be a kid again, the kid who was only scared of the dark and spiders and lived fearlessly and carelessly

I KNOW it is OK to be scared of things.I KNOW that every time I have to enter a situation I find fearful, I am being brave,but sometimes I wish I didn't have to be brave. You know, sometimes  I just WISH I could just not be scared of everything.

I wish there was a switch to turn off my fears.





Image result for emm roy scared

No comments:

Post a Comment