My Mother is up in our room, resting her tired feet from all day walking around the gorgeous city of Melbourne, and I am taking advantage of the free internet in the hotel's Internet Cafe, because, let's face it: I'm not paying $20 for WiFi in my room when I can sit in the corner of a dim Internet Cafe for free.
A small gathering of young tourists clutter in the corner of the cafe claiming all the comfortable seats. One of them holds a small, shaded Ukulele on his lap and blissfully moves his fingers over the strings to create the sounds of a midnight lullaby that quickly fills up the tiny room of travellers ,whom sit on their mobile devices and with the bright glare of their screens projecting onto their sleepy faces.
The relaxing rhythm of the Ukulele makes me want to sway left to right and gently sing "somewhere over the rainbow" by Judy Garland.
But the young group of friends already united in song 20 minuets ago, I can only understand a few words that they are saying as they chatter lyrics at a melodic, considerable volume.
"Ah, baby"
"I. love . you"
I can't tell if they have a French accent or a German one, or maybe a mix of both, I'm really horrible at distinguishing accents, but I am great at distinguishing a common theme throughout music in all different languages: love.
Personally, I have never felt like I have been in love, like I have discussed before, I have never really had a crush on anybody, exempt one or two friends when we shared very, very close emotional bond. But I'll discuss this on another post when I am ready.
Point it, my sister has fallen in love and it is "totz adorable". When I came to Melbourne, I met them and I honestly really like them. My sister is happy, my sister's partner is happy. They are happy together and it is adorable. Love is a weird thing that pushes people together.
Personally, I have never felt like I have been in love, like I have discussed before, I have never really had a crush on anybody, exempt one or two friends when we shared very, very close emotional bond. But I'll discuss this on another post when I am ready.
Point it, my sister has fallen in love and it is "totz adorable". When I came to Melbourne, I met them and I honestly really like them. My sister is happy, my sister's partner is happy. They are happy together and it is adorable. Love is a weird thing that pushes people together.
Back to the Internet cafe.
One of the boys in the corner of the cafe, stands up and stares closely at the window peering out into the busy Melbourne environment. His hands flap to the sides like he has just made a profound discovery.
"Melbourne ish botiful" he declares in a thick accent and a large grin on his face.
His friends nod in agreement, bedazzled by the beauty of Melbourne.
His right.
It really is beautiful, even at midnight when the street lights shine down at busy busses and trams racing by, and people walk along the highlighted pathways living their exciting and busy lives.
And especially with the relaxing strumming of an ukulele.
Melbourne is new to me. I have only been here once when I was in grade six. It was the first and only family holiday comprised of a weekend watching football and visiting the zoo, aquarium, and various shopping centres, and feeling sympathy for my poor brothers for induring hours and hours of being dragged along to multiple shopping outlets.
This time it's just my Mum and me. No brothers; no fathers, just Mum and myself, and so far it has been amazing.
We have been here since 3:00. After jokingly telling my sister I was her birthday present, I decided to jump on a plane with my mother and prove to her that I was, indeed her birthday present.
And honestly, I am the greatest birthday present anyone could have.
My sister knew that my Mum was visiting Melbourne but she did not know that I was coming. We decided to keep it a secret to give her the greatest birthday surprise. I sent my sister a Snapchat at what would be lunch time at school, with the caption 'In class. I'm SO bored!' . When in reality, I had just landed at the Melbourne airport and was having lunch with my Mum.
Two hours later we meet my sister at the train station.
Well, correction: my sister met my mother and I came down the stairs five minutes later, walked up to her and said "surprise!" with a large grin on my face.
She looked at me stunned and with wide eyes, speechless for a good two minuets. When she finally came out of shock and gained her voice back she proclaimed;
"Why does our family keep doing this!?"
"Why are you here? "
and finally;
"Since when did you get a haircut...!"
Her face was priceless, after many laughs and hugs we met my sister's girlfriend and we went out for tea, all up day number one was amazing (I use the word amazing way too much, deal with itπ)
But the best sister award definitely goes to me for making my sister speechless and giving her the best present in the whole entire world: myself.
Oh no, the Ukulele group they just got up and left! I guess this is a sign to go back to my room and rest for a new day filled with Market browsing and sight seeing.
Ignore the grammical errors. I know they are there. π
I'll update more tomorrow. I know I could go on and on about my day and my thoughts, but I am tired.
No comments:
Post a Comment