Tuesday, 12 July 2016

I Survived my Second Term: all about education

Exams, assignments, tests, study.
These words sends shivers down my spine. In the words of my favourite Adventure Time character, Lumpy Space Princess, "I lumping hate them!" 

Source


butttt...
I'm a student so unfortunately, I just have to suck it up, put on a brave face, and pretend that I wouldn't rather be in bed than sitting in the library during my study lines surrounded by students who are stressed out.

Don't get me wrong, I love school,  I love learning, and I love knowledge. I just hate the pressure and being in an atmosphere of stressed out students.
It really messes with your head  when you haven't seen a smile on your friends faces in two whole weeks because they are scared.
Not just scared; petrified, anxious, terrified, and all those negative emotions because they are overwhelmed and stressed out with their education.

 Term two was stressful. Us, grade elevens had our first experience with our first intense exam, and I saw too many people who were crumbling.
The atmosphere was filled with Education Zombies.

It. was. stressful.  

~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_

What is a Zombie Student?

A Zombie student/ education zombie is a student who is barely alive. They are dying underneath the pressure of education. They have the obvious dark circles underneath their eyes from late night studying. They walk with their heads facing the ground: avoiding eye contact. Their minds are filled with formulas and structure rather then creativity and imagination. They are stressed  beyond their limits and believe that they need to be the best-of-the-best in order to be successful later in life. , Education Zombies/zombie students, or "EZ"  are the kids who are trying their  hardest but are plummeting  into a hole as big as their academic responsibilities and they can't dig themselves out because the hole is too deep with assignments and essays and stress and anxiety.
 They prominently come out during exam periods, but can be found all year long, their attitude is deadly but inevitably contagious.
Don't get in their tracks, they will  lead you to cry from their moodiness that comes as a consequence of sleepless nights and isolation. They can be toxic to be around and it takes every ounce of energy just to be a friend and be nice to  them, but they are so deep into EZ mode that all they see and care about  is where they sit on a curriculum. (THEY ARE SERIOUSLY THE WORST TYPE OF PEOPLE)

They are scared to fail and will believe they are failing life  if something goes wrong.

I do not want to be an education zombie. I want to be an educational unicorn. I want to learn and because it is fun and  something interests me,  not because I am scared to fail.


Every now and then, especially near exam time,  I will enter Education Zombie mode, it is guaranteed to happen when you take the classes people think are  "hard"  and surrounded with kids who are  constantly complaining and making you feel like crap with their toxic negativity.

When I am in EZ mode, I am not a good person to be around, no one ever is.

Symptoms I am in EZ Mode:

1) I am miserable.  
I never smile, I walk around with my head to the ground, I stare into space thinking about the long list of things I need to do,I overreact and make situations worst than what they truly are,  and worst:I isolate myself (more then usual)

2) I become anxious 
I am naturally a very anxious person, but in EZ mode all my thoughts attack my brain like men and women fighting a war. MY BRAIN IS AT WAR.  I become very uneasy, and I feel like everybody is watching me, judging my every move.

3) I have negative thoughts
'I cant do this',  'I am going to fail', 'I have no friends' ,' what is the point?' . 
Those are just the beginning.

*It is normal to feel miserable,and anxious, and to have negative thoughts but when they are keeping you from being happy and doing what you are supposed to be doing, then something needs to be changed.*

I am cursed to be one of those people who can not cope when there are to many things happening at once. I am miserable at multi-asking; my brain collapses when too many things are happening at once, thus I enter a state of EZ; a state where I am not alive.
When all your friends in your level three classes have entered a state of EZ, it is pretty hard to transition out of. No amount of chocolate or picnics in the park can prepare you for inevitable sadness producing of students like stink marks in a high school PE class.


I WISH EVERYONE KNEW THAT:


MISTAKES ARE OK. 
I make mistakes, like the other day I relied the word 'pulchritudinous' is an adjective  to describe HUMANS not THINGS.
and guess what I did
I laughed.
I laughed so much happy tears came streaming down my face.
I had been publishing blogs with the word 'pulchritudinous' in the wrong context!!. and to me that was HILARIOUS.

Guess what I learnt
... I learnt how to use that word in the right context!

Yet, so many people would be mad with themselves for making that mistake.  So many people have been implemented with negative mindsets and see mistakes as "failures".  So many people do not know that; 

Every. Mistake. Is .A .Learning. Experience

In fact, I don't believe the word "mistake" is  a word, how can it be when mistakes are just first attempts in successes?


"Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sorta good at something" -Jake The Dog, Adventure Time. 

I remember when I had to write one of my first essays, I was living in Zhean and I was grade seven,  and it was about the Stolen Generation. I had a whole term to research and write a 500 word essay (back in the good ol' days)
and it was... well... it was shit. 
It was probably the worst essay I have ever written, filled with conjunctions and "people were very,very  mean and took babies from the black people"
I had an introduction that was one or two sentences long, three body paragraph and a conclusion that was just my introduction copy and pasted.
It was bad, but the point is, it was OK to be bad because it was the first time I had to write an essay that was being graded on, I was taking learning steps and I was developing skills to use later in my academic journey.
If I never took those learning steps I wouldn't be able to do what I am doing now.
Look at me now; I am writing two five page essays in under two weeks.
I am still learning. I am still introducing new techniques and methods and styles of essays, and they are allowed to suck because every time we suck we are making progress."
That is basic psychology.

I was scoring Pintrest  the other day (like every student procrastinating over essays) and I came over an acronym:

FAIL
(F)irst (A)ttempt (I)i (L)earning

and it's just so.... true  
Every student needs to have this saved as their phones's background so that they see it every single minute of the day and know that they are on the right track.

So many people haven't learnt that failing and making mistakes are a good thing. All they see are the "C's" and "B's" on their marked assignments and take it as an indication that they have done "bad" when they haven't; they have done everything right.  They start to stress out and believe they are a failure and that they will amount to nothing, when they won't.

The sad thing is that  I have seen people on the edge of tears when we receive our marked assignments back.
I do not want my collage life to be like that.

Look at this learning pit.

You can be sad, 
you can want to quit, 
but if you do not leap into that pit 
you are never going to be glad
with your education. 


To support Carol Dweck's Growth Mindset, employ the concept of The Learning Pit into the classroom. The challenge concept is set. Through investigation some students begin to emerge out of the pit. They work to help others out of the pit, re-questioning their own knowledge at the same time. https://vimeo.com/128462566:

When things are first introduced to us, of COURSE we are going to find it  hard and we are going to struggle. We are going to have those inevitable negative thoughts.
"it's too hard" , "I want to quit" and "I don't understand AND THAT'S OK because it means we are leaping into the learning pit and you are learning something.
What is not OK is dwelling on those thoughts and not doing anything about it. You can choose to be stuck in that hole, OR you can get back up . "I'll ask my teacher for help" "I'll try again", "I'm getting it!" . 
Being stuck in that hole means you have given up and you haven't learnt anything,to get out of that pit you need to jump over the brick wall and keep going up. It is then that you know you have learnt something.

WHY. DO. OTHER. STUDENTS. NOT. KNOW. THIS !?!?!?!??!


You can not judge a fish's ability to climb a tree  


Denyse illustration fish swimming loop

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.” 

Everyone is a genius, but I have noticed that when we  can't remember a formula, or a quote that provides evidence on the point we are trying to convey,  we become mad with ourselves  and we lose faith in ourselves and our abilities and we give up.
The problem is that we give up way to easily.

 I wish more people knew that everyone has their own talent that is unique to them, whether is is writing, acting,  dancing, drawing, sports, etc, etc, etc, etc.
Some people are  good at writing essays and some are not, some people are  good at spelling and some are not, some people are  good with rhythm and some are not, some people are good with memorisation some are not. 

THAT'S OK. 
That is beyond OK.
Because if we were all good at the exact same skills and abilities life would be pretty boring.
Imagine what the Olympics would be like if everybody was equally good at their abilities.

Some people are people are natural-born leaders and are good at leadership ,some people are natural-born fashionistas and can form an outfit "on fleek" in under minutes, some people are born with excellent memorisation skills and  can easily memorise a whole chapter of a textbook.  We are all born with our own abilities and talents that will one day shine, ONLY if we let them,  ONLY if we believe, and ONLY if we don't let the disappointment from not thriving in a different skill set us back.

 WE can not  become sad with ourselves and give up when we are confronted with a situation that do not blend with our talents.
In these certain situations, we just have to give in more effort and keep a positive mind frame to create a growth mindset.

For example: Maths. Maths isn't everyone's favourite subject; I hated during in throughout high school. I never understood how numbers worked and never felt confident in my math skills and abilities. I believed that I was an "English" person who I didn't even give maths a go.

Instead of saying I was not a "maths" person, I should of said;
-"I am not a "maths person" yet. (The power of the word 'yet' is so important)
-"The feeling of maths being hard is the feeling of my brain growing"
-"The point isn't  to get it all away. The point is to grow your understanding step by step"

That way I was keeping an open mind set that is growing, not a closed one filled with negative thoughts,
I should have not given up on maths. What I should of done was understand that I needed  to take a deep breath and give myself a chance with multiplication and algebra.
(but you know, I don't regret it. I survived, I passed, just DO NOT  ask me about numbers)

We all need to take a deep breath and know that all our abilities are different and that is OK, fish can not climb trees and that is OK.
We all have a genius inside of us just waiting for the right moment to escape.





 I have no idea what I want to do in the future but I know time will tell, not my grade 11 marks on an assignment about documentaries.

Despite, the education zombies and the stress, I survived my second term at college. It wasn't all filled with stressed out students-- there were a few trips to Chi Chi's with friends, and a picnic in the park  with my closest friends involving chocolate and playing on the equipment designed for children, which was probably a highlight.

 For term three, my goal is to not enter EZ mode as often as I did in term two.I am going to try my absolute best to distance myself away from those students in EZ mode because they are moody creatures to be around, even if it includes sitting in new spots and making new friends.



~_~_~_~_~_~

Holidays 

I currently have a very sleepy kitty on my lap and a stomach that is craving chocolate. I have read seven books so far in these holidays and I am enjoying the peace and quietness before diving head first into school again. 



_~__~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~
Pintrest 

No comments:

Post a Comment